Monday, July 6, 2009

Wishful thinking

I published on my face book the other day that I had 10 students. I was gleefully counting up my monthly income and the fact that I could now quit my job and stay home to work on phonics only.
I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep the next night, after I had given my resignation notice at work and I realized that I had fallen for a trap that I had been determined not to fall into.
I had believed people were phoning back and I had put them on the permanent list. I had said from the start that they would only get on that list if I had a $50. deposit. I was so sure that one person was calling back and I had the perfect spot the the child so I had pencilled in the name. The other boy was in a late spot and I had decided to ask the mom if I could move him to an early spot in the day, so I penciled his name in there. I left his name in the first spot so I wouldn't forget what I had given him. Not remembering all of this, I counted up the names and said that I was so close to my goal of 12 students that I could relax my efforts. Now I am back to 8 students and am thinking maybe I should put another ad in the paper but I wonder is it is right to advertise a camp that is already full. I am telling people that call that I am taking a wait list but they aren't nearly so eager to come and see me. I would hate to have to do another free camp, that would be a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment