Saturday, August 15, 2009

Free Phonics Camp-Huge success

The phonics camp went better than I ever dreamed it could. I had kids booked every hour during the day, 08:30-5:30 (10 minutes between each and 1/2 hr. for lunch). On the second day I decided to move 1 child earlier and 1 later into different groups so I actually had an extra hour free in the afternoon. The Sunday before it all started I began to have butterflies that maybe I had booked way too many kids. As it turned out it was fine. I had classes with 1, 2 and 4 kids in them. (Depending on the need and/or ability) 18 kids each day.
The purpose of the free camp was simply to get the word out into the community, that purpose was fully realized. I have now got 17 kids booked, with down payments paid for Sept. I actually have 2 kids that have paid the whole year in advance.
Another benefit from the free camp was that I was able to see how some kids behaved in a tutoring session and also what level they are at. This will save me some time, in the fall, getting going at their level.
I struggled deciding what to do with all the time that I would have to fill every day. I didn't want to get into the FFP reading program too fully as that could put them ahead of others that are going to be in their class is Sept. I finally decided to read them a few pages from a book each day and then get the kids to make their own book during the week, one page each day. That was a great way to fill at least 20 minutes each day. I chose a book about sharks, with the main character being a girl. This made the book appeal to the boys and the girls. The rest of the hour I spent learning the FFP song and playing games with the picture cards. For the older kids I focused on the "standing and sitting clowns" as I thought that would benefit all the kids whether they were coming here in the fall or not.
Now that I am starting to get the word out I am hoping it will be easier to get a full enrolment next year. As successful as this phonics camp was, it was still a ton of work (and some money) for me. Of course I am thinking of next year and how to keep this mementum going. I hope that I won't have to do another free camp but I may just offer it for 4 year olds if I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment