Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Game evolved
I had a boy in grade 2, it was getting harder and harder to keep his attention on phonics. He thought the games were boring. I decided to use a bit more candy to keep him going. After we sang a group of songs e.g. #7, 8 and 9, I would then quiz him on the phonetic sound. I would show him one of the teaching pictures and ask him to say the sound. For some of them I would use a white board and make a word, such as fair or deer. If he got it right on the first try, I would give him a gummy worm. He started to get way too many candies so I decided that I would take one of his candies back if he got it wrong. Before we started the game I told him that he would end up with 5 gummy worms, we would keep playing until he got that many. He loves the game and his learning has greatly improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment