Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Treasure Box


One of my goals is to make "phonics tutoring" a place that kids love to come to. To that end I give out candy and prizes. I try not to give out too many so that by the end of the hour the children have eaten about 4 gummy bears and 2 or 3 mini marshmallows. Hopefully, that isn't too much sugar to fill them with. I have one boy with a peanut allergy so I try not to vary the candies so that I don't accidentally put in m&m's or something that would cause an allergic reaction.
One big hit that I use is a Treasure Box. Sometime during the lesson I let them look through a box of prizes and choose one to take home with them. It is verily expensive but I think the investment is worth it. Last year I gave the kids a snack of ice cream or popcorn every time. That was fine when there was only 2 and one was my grandson.(the other was a boy that reading was second nature to him). With the kids that I have this year I seem to need every second to try to teach them the hour seems to fly by so fast. Also, the expense of that big snack would have be huge for the big group I have this year. Thankfully none of them have even thought that I should give them a snack so it isn't a problem. I do have a supply of saltine crackers available (I checked the box- no peanuts) to give to the kids that say "I am hungry", I'm sure that they wouldn't be able to concentrate if their stomach is growling.

No comments:

Post a Comment